I am so happy to finally be able to write this post, because that means this mess of a year is almost over. I decided to combine albums and EP’s because there were so so so many amazing EP’s that dropped this year. Most of these could be swapped around and still fit my opinions on them but I made myself rank them. Here are my releases of the year! I know Beartooth released the remastered version of Aggressive last night but I’m still not over how amazing it sounds to talk about it on this level.
*Honorable Mentions are not ranked in any particular order*
Honorable Mention: The Amity Affliction Everyone Loves You…Once You Leave Them
Songs: “Baltimore Rain” “Fever Dream” “Soak Me In Bleach”
- It was really hard to not have this one as my third place album. This is such an emotional album and Amity is known for that. The breakdowns in these songs are amazing, the lyrics hit you in the gut, and I have always been a fan of Joel and Ahren’s vocals. This is a great album front to back and I will always enjoy it.
Honorable Mention: HAWK, Tolerance’s Paradox
Songs: “Alibi” “Clvrmfkr” “Milage”
- I am a huge fan of Ice Nine Kills and Ricky is one hell of an entertaining person in general, so I have been a fan of HAWK since they started putting out music. This is such a well put together EP and these songs are all so intense, I am eager to finally get to see HAWK play live. I love this EP and cannot wait to hear more amazing tunes from the group.
Honorable Mention: Yungblud, Weird!
Song: “god save me, but don’t drown me out” “ice cream man” “charity”
- I’ll link my review to this album right here, but it deserves a spot in the releases of the year for so many reasons. Yungblud is such an important artist and this album is incredibly genuine and true. I enjoyed it a lot and think it’s a solid and unique record. For more of my thoughts you can check out my review of it!
3rd Place: Boston Manor, Glue
Songs: “Brand New Kids” “Stuck In The Mud” “Monolith”
- This album is absolutely incredible. Boston Manor has one of the most unique sounds in this scene of music and I wish more people knew about them. They create amazingly deep and interesting songs in tons of intriguing ways. This album has songs that are eerie, songs that are fast and harsh, and songs that make you want to sit in a corner and cry. Henry’s voice isn’t similar to anyone else’s in the scene right now and he knows how to make so many different vibes and sounds out of every song he creates. Plus they are amazing live so I am always eager to hear new music from them. I love it and I’m sure anyone who has listened to it does too.
2nd Place: Ozzy Osbourne, Ordinary Man
Songs: “Today Is The End” “All My Life” “Goodbye”
- I think this album is a great culmination of the sounds that Ozzy is capable of. I was very close to putting this album in the number one spot, as it could easily fit there as well. These songs are true to Ozzy and his character. The fact that he is still wanting to tour and still putting out music after everything he has gone through in his life, this album being as amazing as it is creates a true sense of who he really is. There are songs on here that remind me of No Rest For The Wicked and others that take me back to Black Sabbath days. Ozzy is one of, if not the most influential rock musician still with us today. The fact that we are still getting amazing music from him is truly a gift. I will always take it and will always appreciate it.
1st Place: All Time Low, Wake Up, Sunshine
Songs: “Melancholy Kaleidoscope” “Glitter and Crimson” “January Gloom”
- This is the one album this year that I fully love every single song on. I found absolutely no flaws in this album and the songs stuck with me both musically and lyrically. This album dropped at a very rough point in my life, and “Melancholy Kaleidoscope” was the first song that I really connected to and my connection to it and the rest of the album has only grown stronger over time. “Can’t be 100 if you’re only giving 95” was something very simple, very obvious to most, but it hit me like a truck. It was a big wake up call for me. Musically, this album is flawless, all the songs are well constructed and get stuck in your head instantly. I will always love this album and I will always stand by the statement that this is the best album the band has put out to date.
What are your releases of the year? Let me know on twitter @/justmenat_ and if you want to hear all of my albums of the year in one place (even the ones that didn’t make the list) check out this spotify playlist!