So I had this idea a couple months ago to do this sort of series of underrated songs by different bands. I go into my Spotify and shuffle and the artist that comes up first is the artist that I highlight songs from. It looks like we’re starting with All Time Low!
DISCLAIMER: My choices for these are NOT based on Spotify rankings, they are the songs that I fell in love with that do not get as much recognition from the band’s fanbase.
5. “Take Cover” from Straight To DVD II
- Favorite lyric/phrase: “Nobody’s gonna believe / When you say you’re turning the page / ‘Cause you never put up a real fight / So shut up and make it right”
- Honestly, the intro and the faded distortion of the vocals in the phrases are super unique and pull you into the song instantly. I also think this might be one of Alex’s best songs vocally. It’s pretty simple but highlights his smoother vocals along with his raspy vocals in a very collective way.
4. “Chemistry” from Last Young Renegade (B-side track)
- Favorite lyric/phrase: I believe in the way you call to me / like a dance-hall choir / singing out in broken revelry
- Alright but this song is so cute? I think it may be one of my favorite love songs in existence and that says something because I am a real sucker for a love song (as much as I hate to admit it).
3. “Come One, Come All” from So Wrong, It’s Right
- Favorite lyric/phrase: “Don’t call the doctors, I don’t need no medication / I just need one more vacation and make it last”
- I will stand by the fact that this song can easily be the definition of teen angst. Plus with it being one of the band’s earlier songs, it has the choppy guitar riffs in the beginning that every punk fan falls in love with.
2. “Painting Flowers” released as a single and on the Alice In Wonderland soundtrack
- Favorite lyric/phrase: “When I wake up / The dream isn’t done / I want to see your face and know I’ve made it home”
- I have been head over heels for this song since I first heard it in 2016. “Painting Flowers” has never gotten enough attention and I will promote it until the day that I die. They made such an amazing and interesting song off of one little detail of Alice In Wonderland and I adore that.
1. “Dancing With a Wolf” from Future Hearts
- Favorite lyric/phrase: ” So don’t you call my name / I will take you down / Should’ve known that you’ve been dancing with a wolf / So don’t you call my name / I will take you down / I’m not your friend, you burned a bridge / I’ll chew you up and spit you out”
- This song is one of the most intense ones that the band has both lyrically and musically. There are very few times that an All Time Low song makes you want to punch someone in the face, and this one does which is why I love it so much. It’s confident and sassy and so well executed. I love it.
Do you have some songs that you feel don’t get enough attention? Tweet me @Natlindz and let me hear your favorite underrated songs!
Until next time…